Other Third Party Custody or Visitation

's Profile Image

There may be situations in which a court will grant visitation or child custody to someone other than the child's biological parents, such as an aunt, uncle, or stepparent.  Under Minnesota law, for example, a person may petition the court for an order granting reasonable visitation rights to a minor child if the child resided in his or her household for a period of two years.  In such a case, the court may award visitation if it is in the best interests of the child and if visitation would not interfere with the relationship between the custodial parent and the child.  Courts will consider whether the person seeking visitation and the child had established emotional ties creating a parent and child relationship.  Courts may also take into consideration the reasonable preference of the child, if the child is determined to be of sufficient age to express a preference.

Third Parties Seeking Child Custody or Visitation in Minnesota

For third parties seeking child custody or visitation or for parents seeking to protect their parental rights, it can be an emotionally trying time filled with much uncertainty.  At Banas Family Law, we counsel clients to deal with the legal implications as well as the personal challenges they are facing.  We are sensitive to the needs of our clients and strive to bring comfort to them in their times of distress.

Schedule a Consultation

Contact our office today to schedule a consultation with a Twin Cities family law attorney.