Post-Decree Modifications

Needs and circumstances change. When they do, a post-decree modification can realign court orders to match the interests of the parties and their new situations. Minnesota family law attorney Chris Banas assists clients in filing motions for the modification of child custody and parenting time agreements as well as child support and spousal maintenance orders.

Child Custody and Parenting Time Post-Decree Modifications.

When deciding issues involving a child, the court focuses on the “best interests” of that child. To ensure your child’s interests are thoroughly represented, you need to obtain the services of a qualified family law attorney.

Often, unless “the court finds that there is persistent and willful denial or interference with parenting time, or has reason to believe that the child’s present environment may endanger the child’s physical or emotional health or impair the child’s emotional development” (Minnesota Statue 518.18(c)), there are time limitations imposed on when modifications may be filed and approved. Your attorney will assist you in determining whether you are eligible to file a modification.

Child Support or Spousal Maintenance Post-Decree Modifications.

When the financial circumstances of either party change, a modification of support is necessary. Orders involving how much, how long, and how often an obligor must pay an obligee are often based upon the obligor’s financial position and ability to pay, the obligee’s financial needs, and the income and expenses of both parties. A knowledgeable family law attorney can assist you in determining whether your situation warrants a modification, and will ensure that the court receives the necessary financial documentation.

To discuss your need for a Minnesota post-decree modification, contact Minneapolis family law attorney Chris Banas today. Call 651-361-8109 now.